Today, securing consistent business through your website is one of the most expensive and time-intensive activities, especially for B2B businesses. However, with a kick-ass lead magnet, you can significantly increase your chances at bringing in warm prospects and potentially turning them into loyal, paying customers.
But, what is a ‘lead magnet’, and how can you go about creating one for your website?
What Is A ‘Lead Magnet’?
A lead magnet is a marketing term that quite simply refers to a free item or service that is designed to attract prospects and gather contact details – which can then be used for marketing purposes and indeed contacting for sales.
The best example of a lead magnet is a free, ‘high-value’ eBook that sits above the fold on a website’s landing page that can only be claimed in exchange for an email address.
Read on and we’ll discuss how they actually work and how to go about building a quality eBook of your own.
How Do ebook Lead Magnets Work?
So, how does a lead magnet in the form of an eBook actually work? The process is rather simple:
- You put together a high-value eBook packed full of useful information, infographics, and imagery.
- The information included is so attractive to your website visitors that they cannot resist claiming theirs! In doing so, they enter the email address and subscribe to your email list.
- Once they are in your email list, you are then free to send them weekly emails with news, updates, VIP discounts, promos, and all manner of other useful information.
- These emails are designed to nurture your existing and prospective customers, inspire loyalty, and (hopefully) encourage them to either buy again or sign up for the first time.
In addition to encouraging people to join your email list, a high-value eBook can also improve conversion rates by itself. Here’s an example of how:
- Imagine a marketing agency with a free eBook on their website.
- Included in this free eBook are all of the agency’s “top tips and secrets for marketing in 2023” or a web design agency offering “tips on achieving minimalistic web design”, etc.
- This establishes their authority by demonstrating how much in-depth knowledge they have on a subject.
- It also highlights to the reader / prospect how much work is involved.
- When presented well, some prospects will realise that there is far too much work involved for them to handle by themselves (even with all of the answers written out in front of them) and they invariably decide to contact the marketing agency for a consultation and sign up for their services instead.
Now that you have a clearer idea how eBook lead magnets work and why they are so impactful, let’s have a brief look at how you should go about making your own…
How To Create An Ebook Lead Magnet Of Your Own?
If you want to create an effective lead magnet of your own, you need to:
- Identify who your ideal target audience is. What kind of problems do they have that your products or services can solve?
- Once you know your audience and what makes them tick, you can choose a topic to cover in your eBook in extensive depth.
- You will need to hire a talented designer to create an on-brand eBook that uses your branded colours, logo, and font throughout.
- You will also need a talented copywriter to present the information in as clear and compelling a way as possible.
- Finally, at the very end of the eBook you need a clear and concise CTA (perhaps a button with a link to book a free consultation with you, etc.)
When done well, a lead magnet can increase the traffic to your website, capture any prospects who do not instantly convert into business, nurture them through regular email marketing, and/or hopefully encourage them to purchase with a well-written CTA / value proposition at the end of the eBook.
Have you found this article helpful? If so, we highly recommend putting these insights into practice and establishing a lead magnet on your own website. You’d be amazed by the immense value it can bring!